BOARDS IN GEAR INTRODUCTION
Test Your Knowledge: Let’s begin by completing a self-assessment of your Board to see where you are. Download the Boards in Gear Pathway.
Ready to get started? We know that you learn whenever you have a challenge to solve. Boards in Gear works well for “a la carte” learning. Watch the video that touches on your challenge.
CONNECTION TO CAUSE: Board members place the work of the organization within a larger context, understanding the circumstances that cause the organization to exist. They are aware of others working in the same space and are able to give voice to stories, challenges, and opportunities that exist for the people their organization serves.
- Why connection your mission to the larger cause matters
- The importance of communication, both internally and externally
- How to use advocacy as a tool to grow your mission
RESPONSIBILITIES: Board members fulfill their responsibilities, from setting a clear mission to ensuring the impact of that mission. The board ensures that the organization is compliant with all federal, state, and local requirements and conducts activities with accountability and transparency.
- What individual responsibilities board members have
- What legal and fiduciary responsibilities board members have
- The role of financial literacy in achieving mission and protecting assets
- How a board can manage risk
COMPOSITION & DEVELOPMENT: A nonprofit board ensures that the board itself has the characteristics and qualifications needed to effectively represent the people that the organization serves and the organization’s needs.
- Recruitment, selection, orientation and evaluation
- Why commitment to mission matters
- Conflict of interest
- Positions within the board
OPERATIONS OF THE BOARD: The board operates in a way that allows the organization to achieve its mission effectively and efficiently.
- Board meetings
- Board/staff relationship
- Board development
FUNDRAISING: Board members ensure that the organization has the necessary resources to sustain its work over time. For many boards, this involves an active role in fundraising, often with the help of staff.
- Roles and expectations
Reflection & Next Steps:
- Post Assessment & Reflection Map: Pathway
- Key Documents (Document Vault)
- Link: How to play the Boards in Gear Game (yes, a board game!)
- Boards in Gear Game Board (tiled version)
- Boards in Gear Game Board (17×17)