You and others in your community see a problem that needs to be solved or an opportunity to make things better. You’ve been helping your community and see opportunities to do more. It will require funding to take your work to the next level. You know it will be a lot of work, but you courageously step forward to make a difference.
You are in good company. There are 1.5 million nonprofit organizations in the U.S. Washington typically sees 4,000 new nonprofits formed each year. With all of these nonprofits already in existence—and so many struggling to stay in existence — it is important to consider if creating a new organization is the best route to having the impact you want.
The “Starting a Nonprofit” Toolkit invites you and your group to think about the difference you seek to make and the structure best suited to move forward. It leads you through key decision-making steps on whether a nonprofit is the best way for you to accomplish your goals. If you decide to move forward with a nonprofit, “Starting a Nonprofit” guides you through the key compliance and good-practice steps to take it towards becoming operational.
- Watch the Starting a Nonprofit video (8 minutes)
- Download the Starting a Nonprofit in Washington State Guide.
- Use the Five Pathways Interactive Graphic to learn more about the steps, activities, and documents you’ll need.
- Download sample documents and templates that you can use for your organization
- Check out the Discussion Guide.