The Washington Nonprofit Institute website is your 24-7 resource for nonprofit learning and resources. The site contains videos, workbooks and guides, templates and sample documents, discussion guides, and interactive learning materials to help you learn about any topic. In addition, we’ve partnered with organizations that provide even more resources, as well as online professional development in dozens of areas.
Where should you begin?
If you are new to the site, here’s an overview to help you understand how the offerings are organized.
Four main courses
- Boards in Gear, or “BIG”
- Finance Unlocked for Nonprofits, or “FUN”
- Let’s Go Legal, or LGL
- Strategic Planning in Nonprofits, or SPiN
Each of these includes:
- A series of videos explaining the concepts in detail
- A PDF kit, or workbook, that you can use to follow along and then keep as a reference guide
- Assessments to measure your progress and help you decide which areas to focus on
- A set of templates and sample documents for you to download and use
- Interactive learning, including games and interactive graphics
Shorter courses (under More Resources)
- Starting a Nonprofit
- Liquor, Cannabis, Gambling…and Your Nonprofit Event
- Tax Basics for Nonprofits
These include a combination of workbooks, videos, and templates and sample documents.
We have dozens of video webinars, ranging from 40 to 90 minutes long. Many of these include discussion guides, so you can share them with other members of your organization. To find a particular subject, browse the Areas of Study or Topic menus, or use the Search function.
For even more extensive studies, we have partnered with several organizations that offer online professional development for a reasonable cost.