The Washington Nonprofit Institute website is your 24-7 resource for nonprofit learning and resources. The site contains a wide variety of free materials to help you learn about any topic. For more extensive studies, we have also partnered with organizations that offer online training for a reasonable cost.
Where should you begin?
We offer five main courses:
- Boards and governance: Boards in Gear (BIG)
- Finance: Finance Unlocked for Nonprofits (FUN)
- Understanding the Law: Let’s Go Legal (LGL)
- Planning: Strategic Planning in Nonprofits (SPiN)
- Advocacy & Public Policy: Build a Movement! (BAM!)
Each of these includes some or all of the following:
- A PDF kit, or workbook, that you can use to follow along and then keep as a reference guide
- A series of videos explaining the concepts in detail
- Assessments to measure your progress and help you decide which areas to focus on
- A set of templates and sample documents for you to download and use
- Interactive learning materials, including games, posters, and interactive graphics
- Starting a Nonprofit
- Dissolving a Nonprofit
- Liquor, Cannabis, Gambling…and Your Nonprofit Event
- Tax Basics for Nonprofits
These include a combination of workbooks, videos, and templates and sample documents.
We have archived dozens of video webinars, ranging from 40 to 90 minutes long. Many of these include discussion guides, so you can share them with other members of your organization. To find a particular subject, browse the Areas of Study or Topic menus, or use the Search function.
For more extensive studies, we have partnered with organizations that offer online professional development for a reasonable cost.